That line of reasoning seems to make sense, doesn’t it? I mean there are some passages that would seem to be teaching that. In fact, one your man emailed me 2 days ago and said;
“I don’t want to watch it anymore. I do not want to go to hell.”
For centuries Christians have used the thought of going to hell to try to scare people into obedience. Certainly, the fear of eternal damnation where there is torment, wailing, and the gnashing of teeth and the eternal burning in the fire should be the be all and end all of motivation, right?
Add to that the reality of God expressing His eternal love for us by having His Son, Jesus tormented and slaughtered on the cross. Plus, His rising from the dead and then offering us eternal life in heaven should be all the motivation we need … right?
The problem is that is not how it works. That is not God’s plan. Yes, He offers Jesus as the one and only sacrifice for the sins of the world. Yes, Jesus rose from the dead and has conquered death for all who put their faith in Him to be their Savior. Yes, He is merciful to us and has placed upon Jesus the punishment for all of our sins.
However, if we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus alone and not according to our works and our ability to walk in holiness, then we are not sent to hell because there is an area of sin in our lives with which we struggle. We never EARN our salvation by our works and we never KEEP our salvation by our works. Hello … it is the GIFT of God to us.
When we were dead in our sins and transgressions He made us alive in Christ. When we were followers of the ways of this world and by nature an object of His wrath, HE rose us up and has seated us with Christ in the heavenly places out of His pure LOVE for us.
Your salvation begins and ends with God and since He began this good work in you, He will complete it in Christ Jesus. You may be caught in the highly addictive throws of sexual sin, but God knew you would become a sex addict yet He chose you despite that before the creation of the world and adopted you to be His child FOREVER!!!
So, tell these fears about going to hell to leave you alone and claim by bold statements of thanksgiving that God still loves you and will always love you. If fact allow me to recommend you pray this prayer against those fears …
Abba Father, Lord Jesus, Holy Spirit …
- Thank you that no matter what I have done or what I might do, that you love me.
- Thank you for choosing me before the creation of the universe.
- Thank you that you chose to adopt me as one of your children and that your choice was as according to Your Good Pleasure.
- Thank you that Jesus has died to pay the penalty for all my sins and that He rose again from the dead defeating death once and for all.
- Thank you that you have placed Your Holy Spirit inside of my body
- Thank you that you have promised to never leave me or forsake me.
- Please fill me with the Holy Spirit and may the Spirit please enable and empower me to walk in the Spirit and not fulfill the desires of the flesh.
That is a good pray with which to start every day. Surrender yourself and offer your body to God. Then put on the full armor of God so that you might stand strong against the evil powers of darkness who want to destroy you.
And the thought of you going to hell … well … tell it to go to hell and be done with it.